Spotify & 2017
LSTNFND’s Stance On Streaming Music
Over the last couple years since Spotify became available in Canada, both artists and users have been trying to figure out how to proceed. For the general consumer, Spotify and other streaming platforms like Apple Music and Tidal have become a way of life. While many music industry voices seem to think that we are in the midst of a paradigm shift, we would argue that the shift happened years ago, when the general populace agreed that spending ~$9.99 a month to access unlimited music, even when there’s no internet available, was well worth the investment. On the other hand, it is very public knowledge that streaming services are notoriously terrible at paying creators.
In an industry where the sale of music was at one point the very life blood of a recording artist, we are now at a point where artists and labels are forced to think outside of the box to generate revenue. LSTNFND understands this tension. We recognize that streaming services have not only made it convenient to listen but in many ways, have enriched the discovery and listening process. At the same time, we also realize that the majority of people who use streaming do so unaware of how artists are paid for streams.
Streaming Is Here to Stay
- Independent artists generally get paid about $0.005 a stream.
- It would take 130 streams of a single song to equal $0.65 per track, which is about what artists make on singles sold on iTunes.
- There is an average of 1.2 billion streams per day online (includes Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, Google Play). This is compared to 734 million digital sales in all of 2016. Huge difference.
- There are approximately 100 million people subscribed to Spotify, with about half of those people registered with paid subscriptions
LSTNFND is fully invested into embracing music streaming. Instead of resisting, we want to be a company that seeks to serve people by meeting them where they’re at.
Support us today by following our playlists and profiles.
1) Follow our selection of playlists that go with every season of life.
Featuring our musical influences and some of our own music too. Made by LSTNFND artists for LSTNFND fans and beyond.
The beats knock. The lyrics are fresh. The vibes are purely positive. Plunge headfirst into these hip-hop gems, perfect for a deep listening session on a long commute, or to provide the vibe at your next house party.
Hosting dinner or enjoying a laid-back evening with the crew? Look no further for the perfect soul vibe to keep your guests tapping their toes and pulling out their Shazam app.
Just woke up and ready to start your day? Bump this playlist. Filled with tons of hip hop, soul, and funk goodies designed to your heart pumping and your day going. Put your best foot forward.
2) Follow Us On Spotify
Simply hit the follow button and keep in touch with LSTNFND’s roster.